Monday, April 18, 2011

FABBY: Almond Biscotti with Coffee

 Here are my biscotti in a beautiful, "silver overlay glass" platter that we inherited from my Mil....Bill wrote about this unique pieces on his post: "Simply Vintage Table Setting".  This platter is Italian and an antique as it was my Mil's mother and she was born in 1894.
This tablecloth is from Spain and it's made of organza, I love using it on top of other linens, but today I chose to use it alone..
 This china set is one of my oldest too, maybe 28 years old, I have 16 place settings, I use it for lots of people when I serve  a buffet.
 The Italian-silver overlay glass platter...look at the silver, it has grape leaves and grapes, strawberries, flowers and leaves, a cherry plant with cherries...really a scrumptous job!
 My silver tea set I bought around 22 yrs. ago on one of our trips to the Big Apple. The cute butter dish is silver plated and it's not part of the silver tea set. The silver tea "samohbar"  was my Mil's too.
 The whole table setting.  The sterling tea spoons were my mother's, she gaved them to me because  they were used for her First Communion...they're 12.  My mom's is 81 and very well.
 A better shot of the whole table.
In Italy, "biscotti" refers to all kind of cookies, not just to the crunchy-twice baked  variety it implies on this side of the Atlantic.  Italians love duncking it in coffee, tea, or a dessert wine, such as, Vin Santo.  Now, my husband loves biscottis and so I make it for him quiet often, since it's his fav cookie ever!  Hubby and me usually have afternoon coffee at 4 pm with some cookies, a piece of home made bread, or in this case, his biscotti.  
Here is the recipe for the ones that might want to have it.

Almond Biscotti:

1/3 Cup butter
2 Cups all purpose flour
2/3 Cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 Cups slivered almonds, finally chopped
1 egg yolk, (optional)
1 tablesp. milk, or water (optional)
1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1 tablesp. shortening
PREP.:
In electric mixing bowl,  beat butter, for 30 sec. and  1 Cup of the flower, the sugar, 2 eggs, b.p. and vanilla; beat until combined.  Using a wooden spoon, or spatula, stir in remaining flouer and nuts.  Dvide dough in half.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet.  Shape each portion into a 9" log.  Place each one apart 4" on cookie sheet.
Flaten dough slightly bout 2" wide.  (shine it with an egg and milk wash, if you like...I don't bother) 
Bake at 375F. for 20-25 minutes...or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
With a serrated knife cut diagonally into 1/2" slices. Lay slices, cut size down, on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 325F oven for 8 min.  Turn slices over; bake for 8 to 10  min more, til dry and crisp.  Transfer on wire rack and cool.
In a heavy small saucepan, heat choc.,  and shortening over low heat until melted; stir occasionlly.  Place cooled cookies  flat side up, on waxed paper.  Drizzel chocolate atop cookies, or dip into melted choc.  Let choc. set up.   (I don't do this cause hubby doesn't like it with the choc., I do, and it's  great with it)
I thank Marty for hosting this nice party, TTT  at:  htt://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

  1. How pretty are all you silver pieces on that also fabulous tablecover!! I love the lacey detail - it reminds me of my runner I just picked up at Homegoods. And I've got to try your recipe - looks and sounds dee-lish! xo

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Questa tavola è elegante e raffinata!Baci,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tray that I inherited from an aunt that looks very much like that one! I always thought it was ugly until I took the time to polish it. Beautiful! Thanks for visiting my post today. Blessings, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Fabby! What a beautiful table and you got so much treasure on top of it. The tablecloth is gorgeous, so exquisite with the cut out embroideries. I love the serving coffee silver with the warmer. The other silver pieces are really pretty too and so are the plates....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fabby! Easter Greetings! I love your sentimental silver table display! The biscotti looks wonderful too! The antique silver tray is so beautiful and quite the collectible item! Your china is so pretty and it's delicate look is perfect with the silver! Happy Easter...Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fabby!

    Oh, my, everything looks so very beautiful. I love the special glass overlay plate with all it's details, along with all of your other pretties. And, thanks so much for sharing your biscotti recipe. We can't eat too many sweets in this house, but I think that we could eat this fine (low blood sugar stuff going down).

    I love it when you stop by to say hello, you are the biggest sweetie and your comments make me happy.

    Have a wonderful TTT!

    Love,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabby, your teascape is gorgeous. All of your silver pieces are stunning and to have pieces from you MIL and Mom are such precious treasures. Love your beautiful tablecloth. This looks so inviting and beautiful. I can't wait to try the biscotti recipe. Sorry you were having trouble trying to link to TTT. This is truly lovely. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness, I was JUST thinking of making biscotti and I spent the morning on the NET Looking for a recipe... Oh Course I would prefer to "Use Yours"! There you were with this beautiful post AND "My Recipe". I love all the details of your table and OF COURSE I'm going to tell you my VERY, VERY Favorite thing is the platter with that Gorgeous silver. AND what a wonderful thing that these are Such Heirloom treasures, most from people you LOVE. Bit hugs to your Mom... My Mom is going to be 87 the end of May and my Dad will be 86 in July. They have been married 64 years and are still on their own in Florida...
    Have a Beautiful Blessed Easter Week,
    Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Fabby! I have a large bowl with the silver overlay and saw Bill's post about it. Everything looks lovely. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely setting...wish I was there for a bite of your biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabby, Your tea service is beautiful and is so nice to use with your tea or coffee and biscotti. Don't you just love having special things handed down from your family? The evoke wonderful memories each time they're used.
    The biscotti looks delicious. I'll print it to save.
    Have a blessed Easter,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabby, Absolutely beautiful Coffee.

    I love almond flavored foods so I know this biscotti would be delicious.

    Enjoyed having coffee and cookies with you today.
    God bless,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, what beautiful silver pieces! Everything looks so gorgeous, including the biscotti :-)

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely table. Thanks for beig a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its beautiful display Fabby, your SILVERIES are gorgeous ... and your center piece is so beautiful... I love the delicacy of the design... The plate in which you displayed your tasty biscuits is beautiful... is the print is in silver? ... looking very nice
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Fabby.... you have so many gorgeous and priceless pieces from family. The table is so beautiful!!!!

    Wish I were sitting at the table with you, eating the delicious looking biscotti and sipping tea.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my kind of table setting Fabby! Coffee and biscotti, yeah! A perfect mid afternoon snack...so European. Everything looks fabulous!

    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What gorgeous silver you have amassed! I adore silver! I always polish mine and yours looks very nicely polished, too!

    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog for a visit and do hope you will visit often. I'm your newest follower of your lovely blog, too!

    Hope you and your family have a blessed Easter!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your recipe looks delicious Fabby! You always have the most gorgeous table settings! Hope you and your family have a beautiful holiday together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your biscotti and its a pleasure to follow you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your sweet and generous messages. You always make my day !

FABBY